CGF, taurine and lysine are three popular supplements in a multivitamins preparation. They cite amazing promises. But can these benefits be true or just some mere half-truths? Read on.
Besides ascorbic acid and zinc, most mothers look for CGF or chlorella growth factor, taurine and lysine in a supplement combination product. While CGF has a promise for height enhancement, taurine can make a child smart. Lysine on the other hand, is known as an appetite stimulant which is important for weight gain.
The benefits maybe attractive but can these be true? The following are more facts about the three popular supplements.
CGF or Chlorella Growth Factor
- Chlorella growth factor is the healthiest substance known because it is the most powerful component of the most potent food in the world, comprising approximately 3% of the Chlorella cell.
- It is made up of many nutritional substances, some of which are not found in any other foods such as amino acids, amino peptides, water-soluble proteins, heavy metal binding proteins, glycoprotein phytohormones, natural growth factors, anti-fungal, anti-viral and antibacterial substances etc.
- CGF is important for tissue repair and can even be used topically on cuts and lacerations to accelerate healing.
- In one of Japan’s long- term study, children fed with Chlorella had healthy, cavity-free teeth, fewer colds and improved intellectual aptitude.
- More to this, CGF has proven effective against memory loss, depression and other psychiatric diseases.
- Taurine is an amino acid abundant in the heart, the skeletal muscles and the nervous system. It plays an important role in the brain a potent neuroprotectant.
- As a dietary supplement, it can be beneficial for people who suffer from bipolar disorder or manic depression.
- In Japan, taurine is used to treat ischemic heart disease as well as certain heart arrhythmias.
- Taurine can be also helpful in the treatment of both hypertension and high cholesterol.
- Taurine acts as a potent antioxidant and improves drug-induced type 1 diabetes mellitus by combating the destructive effect oxygen free radicals have on the pancreas.
- It has kidney-protective benefits too. Japanese researchers found that taurine supplements can help prevent kidney damage.
- Taurine also helps maintain the health of the liver. It helps the cells in the liver work more effectively as it strengthens the liver's ability to eliminate harmful toxins from the body.
- Taurine has been shown to be useful in treating people with alcohol dependency and preventing alcohol relapse.
- Many people take taurine after drinking alcohol too, as it helps flush its toxic effects more quickly from the system.
- Taurine can also improve symptoms of anemia. It promotes the effective passage of iron from the blood stream to the tissues.
- As an amino acid, taurine is also a beneficial agent used to accelerate the wound healing process. This is due to its ability to increase the production of collagen - bundles of protein fibres which form the connective tissue of your skin - that is normally damaged following an injury.
- Lysine is one of the essential amino acids that the body needs for building proteins. It is a precursor for another amino acid, L-carnitine which is essential for the conversion of food into energy and also known to lower LDL and triglyceride levels.
- It helps fight the herpes virus by blocking arginine in the body and prevents herpes virus from reproducing and spreading.
- Research shows that lysine can also help people suffering from cold sores.
- Lysine is essential for the formation of collagen which is the most abundant protein that makes up the bones, cartilage, ligaments, and tendons.
- Lysine is also necessary for calcium absorption therefore important for the treatment of osteoporosis.
- Hormone and enzyme production require lysine support, lysine also helps the immune system by aiding in the production of antibodies.
CGF as a height enhancer
Chlorella Growth Factor (CGF) is a nucleotide-peptide complex of substances found only in chlorella - green algae, important for its potential food and energy source. CGF is named for its growth-stimulating properties since it is responsible for chlorella’s ability to produce or multiply for every 20 hours.
CGF is said to be an excellent component to enhance a child’s growth since it contains nucleic acids that can serve as building blocks for the growth potential and tissue repair. CGF causes children and young animals to grow at an accelerated rate and damaged tissue to speed up its rate of healing.
Taurine for better memory
Taurine is also abundant in the human brain. As mentioned above, it promotes the survival and proliferation of neurons. Taurine is also a strong activator of the gamma-aminobutyric acid or GABA - the brain's key inhibitory transmitter which is also involved in brain development.
Lysine as an appetite stimulant
Lysine is not actually an appetite enhancer like Pizotifen. But as stated in one of its benefits above, it is an essential amino acid and one of its function is it helps in the production of enzymes which aid in digestion. And with much motivated digestion, food craving is a positive result.
Lysine and Viral Meningitis
Lysine can also help keep viral meningitis away or from getting worse. Herpes viruses are a common cause of viral meningitis in adolescents and adults in developed countries. Herpes viruses include the herpes simplex viruses (HSVs) and varicella zoster virus; this is the same virus that causes chickenpox and shingles.
Taking 500 mg a day of lysine can help you from getting mouth sores, cold sores and viral meningitis. The minute you start to feel viral meningitis starting, that stiff neck, the inability to look down or up due to neck pain. A pain from the top of your head to your tailbone down the spine, a pressure feeling on the top of the head, and just a terrible pain.
When you start to feel this, take 1,000 to 2,000 until the symptoms subside. Thankfully, L-Lysine is one of the most affodable supplements.
Besides the numerous beneficial facts CGF, lysine and taurine may have the promised citations. But while CGF or taurine can be replaced by eating the right food like milk and other protein sources, lysine can also be obtained from other nutritious foods like fruits and vegetables. If your child enjoys more of these healthy diets, these supplements are not a necessity anymore as food is still the best source of nutrients.